SAIPEM CUTS 8,800
Italian services firm Saipem said Tuesday it will cut 8,800 jobs during the next two years after booking about $1 billion in write downs in the second quarter and slashing its annual guidance.
According to Reuters, the company expects to book a net loss of about $883 million, or about 800 million euros, for 2015 and report an operating loss of about $496 million for the year.
Saipem had previously expected to earn a net profit between $220 million and $363 million for 2015 with an operating profit between $551 million and $771 million.
The company said it will cut about 8,800 jobs throughout its global operations from 2015 to 2017 as part of a restructuring plan.
Saipem hopes the plan will generate cumulative savings of $1.43 billion during those two years.
The company currently employes about 50,000 people.
"I don't know whether this is sufficient or not, time will tell," Saipem CEO Stefano Cao told analysts.
The restructuring plan is also expected to include vessel scraps and downsizing some construction yards but not asset sales, Reuters added.
Saipem sunk to an adjusted net profit loss of $780.82 million in the second quarter on a net loss of $1.013 billion.
Adjusted EBIT, including the impact of $790 million in write downs of net current assets, sunk to a loss of $637.65 million.
The company booked $1.024 billion in write downs of net current and capital assets for the quarter.
"Results for the second quarter of 2015 reflect a market that has greatly deteriorated. The further steep fall in the oil price has resulted in a major disruption, which is not likely to be reversed in the short-to-medium term and has resulted in Clients taking an increasingly rigid approach in the operational and commercial management of contracts," Cao said.
Italy's Eni suspended its plan to sell part of its 43 percent stake in Saipem in December, citing "volatile" market conditions.
|March, 16, 10:40:00|
|March, 16, 10:35:00|
|March, 16, 10:30:00|
|March, 16, 10:25:00|
|March, 16, 10:20:00|
|March, 16, 10:15:00|
BLOOMBERG - While Europe as a whole gets more than a third of its gas from Russia, that share is lower in the U.K., which receives the bulk of its fuel from North Sea fields and Norway. Still, Moscow-based Gazprom PJSC was the second-biggest supplier to major industrial consumers in the U.K. last year, according to Britain’s energy regulator Ofgem.
FT - of the six LNG tankers that have made deliveries into the UK so far in 2018 three have carried cargoes originally from Russia, leading to questions about whether Moscow was gaining a foothold in the UK gas market after starting up the Yamal LNG facility in Siberia late last year.
REUTERS - So far this year, two Yamal cargoes unloaded at British terminals for domestic consumption, accounting for about a third of Britain’s 2018 LNG imports after typical supplier Qatar pre-sold the bulk of its winter output to Asia last year.
REUTERS - U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures CLc1 were at $60.77 a barrel at 0753 GMT, up 6 cents, or 0.1 percent, from their previous settlement. Brent crude futures LCOc1 were at $64.62 per barrel, down just 2 cents from their last close.